I chose to stay inside the current green's palette and stepped up 3 shades in the Valspar color gallery. But I'm not a fan of Valspar paints, so I took the paint chip samples to Home Depot and put those colors into the Behr Ultra Premium product, which is my favorite brand for painting murals. Why didn't I use the Behr color gallery? I find it a bit "muddy" and lacking in pop value.
That being said, the Behr product covers alot of square feet, so stick with the quart size, I have 2 gallons of greens I'll be using for my upstairs bathroom, thanks to that lesson. ha!
I photographed the walls and then worked out the layout in photoshop to get a good balance of movement and space. Again, as you see in the photos, we have larger windows and a walk through double door sized opening AND a kitchen pass through PLUS a door to a 3rd bathroom. When approaching a mural of any size it's important to work with the space, not fight it into submission. If size or doors/windows/openings make your idea "break" in layout. Stop. You can't force a great mural around a lousy space. But you can fix a lousy space with planned mural specific to that function.
But I digress.
Another consideration to the room is/was the fact that our birds live in this room. And anyone that owns a parrot knows the slightest things can scare them, or completely upset them. Putting stark, wild or aggressive patterns wasn't going to work.
So my checklist was as follows:
Large space=balanced layout
multiple openings=functional layout
companion parrots=respect their space
current green=embrace mono
Visit THIS online color designer and play around. I use this for my sculptures, web design and murals.
The new year brought about challenges I had not expected and changes I had not planned for, but I am embracing life to the fullest because Life is what happens when you're busy making plans!
Happy New Year!